VIDES Canada is a volunteer missioner organization that is dedicated to education and development for children, youth and women in situations of poverty, marginalization, or difficulty, both in Canada and worldwide.
VIDES Canada is part of VIDES International — an International Voluntary Organization founded in 1987 by the Salesian Sisters. We are a non-governmental organization (NGO) committed to empowering and enriching the lives of young people by providing them with the opportunity to engage in meaningful international volunteer experiences. The central focus of our volunteer missions is the education and development of underprivileged children, youth, and women.
VIDES has a special Consultative Status with the Economic and Social council (ECOSOC) and are associated with the Department of Public Information of the United Nations.
VIDES is an organization that is promoted by the Institute of the FMA (Figlie di Maria Ausiliatrice or “Daughters of Mary Help of Christians.”)
VIDES is established all over the world: 11 countries in Europe, 5 Countries in Asia and 9 countries in America, all of which form part of the Salesian Family. Our head office is in Rome www.vides.org
- To equip young people to become leaders in their community to promote active volunteer service.
- To protect and promote human rights, especially vulnerable children and women.
- To transform lives all over the world through a genuine experience of God’s love at work.
- To inspire many people to come to learn about Jesus Christ and develop a loving relationship with Him.
- To inspire with the values found in Don Bosco’s Educational Method: The Preventive System.
Our Core Values
- Respect for life
- Social Justice
- Communion and fraternity
- Solidarity and gratuitousness
- Openness to intercultural and inter-religious dialogue
- The defense and promotion of human rights
What does VIDES stand for?
VIDES stands for Volunteers in International Development, Education and Service.
What is VIDES’ goal?
VIDES’ ultimate goal is to build communities in the world that support and ‘invest’ in young people. We achieve this goal with the following:
- Training and preparing volunteers through formation
- Promoting long-term and short-term international volunteer service
- Developing Projects in Africa, Asia, and Latin America
What type of training are provided to volunteers?
Volunteers are trained through formation. Volunteer training and formation is founded on the educative method inspired by the Salesian spirituality of St. John Bosco .
What does Salesian mean?
To be ‘Salesian’ means to follow Don Bosco and Mary Mazzarello’s way of ‘being’ and ‘working with’ young people. (Salesian Methodology) Salesians recognize the importance of ‘journeying’ with young people, encouraging and supporting them.
We believe and see the potential in each individual and through formal and informal education we set out to empower young people to be true to themselves, reach their full potential, and to be the protagonists in building a better world.
Values of Salesian Youth Work
At the heart of VIDES is the best interests of young people. VIDES adopts and puts into practice specific aims and values. Through this we believe young people receive a professional service that responds to their needs.
VIDES Canada Volunteer Board Members: